22 May 2013

Breakfast at Annie's


"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day"...

...and if you're anything like me then you'll need something mildly exciting to get you out of bed in the morning!  


Homemade Breakfast Granola



Ingredients:
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of wholemeal flower
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of apple juice or water
1 tsp of vanilla extract
(you can add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder if you're feeling really naughty!)
dried fruit (I use raisins) to add after cooking


Method:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees C / 325 degrees F

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine wet ingredients in a jug (you may need to pop the coconut oil into the microwave for 20seconds to melt it into a liquid for easier mixing).

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.

Lightly grease a baking tray and spread the mixture evenly crumbling lightly with your fingers.

Cook for around 45 minutes checking at regular intervals, moving & turning the granola to avoid burning (the aroma wafting through your home at this point is amazing - enjoy it!)

Leave the granola out to cool before decanting it into a nice big jar.

By this point I can't resist pinching one to eat, but be careful not to burn your tongue in greedy anticipation... oops!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great recipe, sure it smelled and tasted great! Should you want to give it a twist in future you could try a teaspoon of ground ginger or 150-175g of your favorite apple sauce (or both). GB jx

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I was born and grew up in the city of Wolverhampton where I went to school and studied A-Levels. I lived in Walsall for the two years of my life before coming to university in Nottingham where I now live. I graduated in Summer 2012 with a degree in Theology, and currently study an MA in Systematic & Philosophical Theology. I enjoy contemporary dance, travelling, literature, live music, being a connoisseur of hot beverages and liberating the oppressed. I have written for 'The Mic' magazine and held the position of Editor for the Women's Network magazine, 'Artemis'. I wouldn't be anything without my God, the beautiful author of life. Any feedback on my blogs is much appreciated.